Getting Started with Good Mobile Messaging
Confirm that your current Good Mobile Messaging Server environment is version 4.0 or later.
- If you are installing for the first time, see the Good Mobile Messaging Administrator's Guide or Quick Start Guide for instructions on how to install your server.
If you are already running Good Mobile Messaging, confirm that it is version 4.0 or later. If you need to update your Good Mobile Messaging environment, you can download the latest software from the Good Mobile Messaging Software Download Site.
Confirm the ROM update for handheld devices.
Confirm handheld devices have active data and voice service plans.
- First, make sure each handheld has an active data plan with your wireless service provider. To confirm the device has the proper service plan:
If both tests are successful, then the device works with Good Mobile Messaging. If not, please contact your wireless service provider and request Internet data service be added to your plan.
- Successfully place a phone call.
- Successfully browse the Internet.
Set up your Good Mobile Messaging environment for handhelds running Good Mobile Messaging.
- Upgrade your Good Mobile Messaging environment or set up an additional Good Mobile Messaging Management Console (or desktop installer). See the Read me for the list of minimum Good Mobile Messaging component version requirements. For Treo 650 devices, you must install Good Mobile Messaging 3.8 client installer software. For Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphones, you must install Good Mobile Messaging 4.5 (or later) client software. For Windows Mobile 5.0 handhelds, you must install Good Mobile Messaging 4.7 (or later) client software.
NOTE: To use other remote Good Mobile Messaging Management Console hosts for provisioning handhelds, make sure the Good Mobile Messaging Management Console and Client software are also upgraded.
All of the software mentioned above can be downloaded from:
The Good Mobile Messaging Software Download Page.
Upgrading your Good Mobile Messaging software
Once downloaded and extracted on the host machine, run the setup.exe program to upgrade all three components (Good Mobile Messaging Server, Management Console, and Client). For remote Good Mobile Messaging Management Console hosts where Treo provisioning occurs, use the same installer (copy the installer fileset to the Good Mobile Messaging Management Console host machine), but when you run the setup.exe program, use only the last two buttons for the Good Mobile Messaging Management Console and Client. You don't need to change the Server component for Good Mobile Messaging Management Console and Client-only host machines.
Set up the user's device on Good Mobile Messaging.
From this point, you can set up handhelds wirelessly (Over The Air or "OTA").
Note: If you are running Good Mobile Messaging Management Console Version 3.7 or earlier, you will need to perform one additional step before you proceed. Also, wireless setup is only available with Good Mobile Messaging 4.0 (or later)
Use Good Mobile Messaging Management Console to set up and activate user handhelds wirelessly:
- Right-click the Users folder and select New User.
- Select the user who will be assigned the handheld.
- Select "OTA Setup" and click OK.
- Click OK. An email is sent to the handheld. The email contains a PIN and URL. The handheld user connects to the URL and from the site, Good downloads the OTA Setup application. OTA Setup is a wizard-like application that leads the user through a set of steps to authenticate the user, download and install Good Mobile Messaging Client software, and connect to Good Mobile Messaging Server to wirelessly synchronize the user.s Outlook account.
NOTE: If you are running Good Mobile Messaging Management Console Version 3.7 or earlier, you need to activate the SIM card/handheld for Good Mobile Messaging service.
In order for Good Mobile Messaging to work on any device, it must be activated at the Good Network Operation Center. To do this, Good needs the following:
- Full phone number (with country and city codes if non-USA)
- IMSI or ESN (this is a serial number that is not printed on the SIM card. It must be detected by the Good Management Console or the GoodDetect application)
- Name of the wireless service provider
Detect the information on the device
NOTE: You should have your Good Mobile Messaging environment ready and HotSync or ActiveSync installed at this point.
- Connect the cable to the handheld and connect to the PC's USB port (if it is not already connected).
- Run the GoodDetect application and follow the instructions on the screen to detect the information on your SIM card / handheld.
- After the information has been detected, click Copy to transfer the information to the clipboard
Activate the device for Good Mobile Messaging service
- Log on to the GoodMonitoring Portal: www.good.com/gmp
- Select Manage Handhelds.
- Select Activate Handheld.
- Put the cursor in the Paste here field and choose Edit >Paste from your browser's menu. This automatically fills in the fields for you so you don't have to enter the individual numbers.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the activation
Tip . Setting up Wi-Fi environments.
- Some Good-enabled handhelds allow network connections over WiFi. Good Mobile Messaging uses UDP packets to transmit data to these devices. Some enterprises block UDP packets at the firewall, even if TCP/IP connections are allowed.
To use Good Mobile Messaging over WiFi in a corporate setting, theIT administrator must make sure the following port is open:
- UDP port 12000
- TCP ports 80, 443, and 21
Good requires that customers open a range of IP addresses (Class C 126.96.36.199/27)
Setup is now complete.